The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2009, 03:32 PM

Default McKnight Firsts - My 12-string JumbMac

[Photo shows the wood for the hollow back option. Outside is figured Walnut and inside is Walnut on the bass side and cherry on the treble (a first for Tim).]

I am new to the AGF but already have a couple of friends, also owners-to-be or already owners of one of Tim McKnight's guitars. They both suggested I get on the forum and one suggested I start my own thread about the guitar Tim is building for me. And any way I can help boost Tim's career as a truly amazing luthier is alright with me.

My JumboMac will be Tim's first 12 string. Here are the specs for those who might be interested. As soon as I get a chance I will also post pictures of the build. I won't be the only one excited about Healdsburg this year, for sure. One main goal was to be as "green" as we could with sustainably harvested woods, as much domestic as possible. So here's what we came up with, Tim and Mary and me:

Redwood double top
Figured Walnut back and sides with the hollow back option. On the inside hollow back Tim made it Cherry on the treble half and Walnut on the bass half. This guitar will have a big choral sound-another goal with the 12 string.
Fingerboard and bridge will be Mesquite.
Binding is Sycamore.
Cherry neck
Rosette: Walnut background, ash and cherry trim with Paua diamonds
top and back purfling will be Cherry/Ash
Pure Western pickup
flower petal shapes (3) sound port (to go with the Hummingbird inlay on headplate and at the end of the fingerboard.)
Gold tuners.

I have to wait until August to hold this guitar. So be it. Pictures coming soon.

Last edited by jameshughd; 02-11-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: updating information and adding a photo.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

welcome to the forum! and congrats on a very promising guitar to be
Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM

I've seen a few pics of that guitar. And I immediately noticed the "half and half" inner back. Interesting to say the least.

It's also the first Jumbo that I've seen Tim build, though I know he's built at least a couple of other ones.

I'll be picking mine up at the Healdsburg show in August, too. I'd like to compare your jumbo to my MiniMac . . . just to see if I'd like to make my next McKnight a Jumbo!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
*mahoganut*

Welcome James! And glad you joined the forum.

Are you going to visit your baby in vitro at the June McJam?

If not I'll meet you at Healdsburg and will look forward to seeing your finished 12vr!

rr/Phil
Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 PM

James,

I'm truly excited to see what Tim will do with a 12 string!! Hopefully you'll get a chance to post some pic's, or Tim can

~ Ray ~
Martin '62 0-16NY
Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM

James,

Glad you made it to the forum! I got home a bit late tonight, I just read your e-mail. I will contact you tomorrow to help with the pictures. then be prepared for a avalanche. By the way, do Tim & Mary know you are on the AGF? I know they would love to come by to visit!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 PM

Default Thanks for the Welcome

Thanks to all for the welcome and comments so far. I won't be able to make the McJam so we will have to find each other at Healdsburg and have our own new McKnight impromptu McJam there. Looking forward to meeting you all and sharing the music that Tim will be putting into our hands. And I have sent Tim an email with the notice that I am now on the AGF. To tarpon: I look forward to talking with you tomorrow or whenever so we can get some more pictures posted.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow! This is so cool! Jun, you are the only one on this thread (so far) who is not a McKnight owner. I better work on you! Riorider plans to join the McKnight Guitar family in the near future. He will probably hand pick his woods at the McJam on June 5 & 6.

Just for the record, Tim and I avoid posting pictures of the guitars as he builds. This is something we prefer to let the customer do since, rightfully, these pictures belong to them. From there, Baby, y'all can post lots of albums and/or pictures.

Matter of fact, I love to look at the pictures on the forums. It makes is all new for me, even though I took all the original shots.

Jim, Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM

Shoot- I thought I was going to be the first to commission a McKnight 12er. Looks like ya beat me to it! Oh well, I guess I'll let you be the guinea pig.
BTW- welcome to the AGF!

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 02-11-2009, 04:00 PM

Default Guinea Pig

Don't mind being Tim's guinea pig on the 12... lots of firsts in this baby and I don't mind that at all and love boosting Tim's career. You will have such a grand time working with them designing your 12 and I can guarantee the neck joint will be a solid work of art.

Still working on getting a few pics posted, hopefully by this weekend so check back once in a while. Thanks for checking in.

Thanks, Mary, for being an AGF sponsor. This is a great conversation I have fallen in to.... learning good stuff already.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Wow! This is so cool! Jun, you are the only one on this thread (so far) who is not a McKnight owner. I better work on you!
, i better wrok hard and keep my job
Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Guitar Honey

That looks like it is going to be some guitar! What is that about the 'double-backs' and the 'double-tops'? What does this do for the tone?

I will be posting a thread at the beginning of summer to find out who is going to the Healdsburg Festival from here. Then I will be making up some AGF Name Badges which will be available to pick up at the McKnight booth so we can all readily identify one another.

I can't wait to see their guitars!

My Guitars
Rejoice Music
Member Photo Gallery
Old 02-11-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoice Music View Post
That looks like it is going to be some guitar! What is that about the 'double-backs' and the 'double-tops'? What does this do for the tone?

I will be posting a thread at the beginning of summer to find out who is going to the Healdsburg Festival from here. Then I will be making up some AGF Name Badges which will be available to pick up at the McKnight booth so we can all readily identify one another.

I can't wait to see their guitars!
Check mcknightguitars.com because Tim has great information about both double tops and the hollow back options related to tone. I will watch for the Healdsburg Thread since I plan to be there.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM

Default New pics of my KcKnight JumboMac Walnut/Redwood 12 string

Old 02-11-2009, 09:02 PM
I miss the USA!

Send a message via MSN to hann Send a message via Skype™ to hann

wow that half-and-half thing is too cool!
Headway Audio EDB-1 Preamp
Countryman Type85

Past:
Alvarez MF80C (was sad to see this one go...)
K&K XLR preamp
K&K powermix trinity
Zaolla
Baggs PADI
Stillwater acoustic amp

Future:
1940s D45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion